It's time to LET THEM FLY!!!
What you are watching, is one of our most favorite events of the hockey season...the Teddy Bear Toss! Sometimes it's called the "Teddy and Toque Toss." Regardless of what you call it or have heard it called, it truly is magical.
The holiday season is always an exciting time in the hockey world. Though there are fans (like me) who could be found at an ice rink any month of the year, for many people who make the trip to see a hockey game most times it just makes sense when the temps are dropping in the lower digits outside.
- Fans bring to the arena new (or slightly-used) stuffed animals with them to the game.
- Fans throw their plushies on the ice once the home team scores its first goal of the night.
After the hundreds (or thousands...) of stuffed bears go flying in the air on to the ice are all gathered up by the players, they are then cleaned then donated to those in need just in time for the holidays, at children’s hospitals, shelters, and other organizations.
It’s one of the busiest and fun games to attend.
It's not 100% clear where the tradition started, but most sources point to the Kamloops Blazers in 1993. What is clear is that the tradition took hold and now can be found at just about any North American arena. In case you're wondering how many teddies go flying, the Hershey Bears hold the record with 34,798 on December 2nd of 2018.
- Tri-City Americans - December 14th, 2019
- Spokane Chiefs - December 7th, 2019
- Portland Winterhawks - December 7th, 2019
- Everette Silvertips - December 14th, 2019
- Seattle Thunderbirds - January 11th, 2020
- Vancouver Giants - Decemeber 8th, 2019
- Victoria Royals - Decemeber 7th, 2019
- Kelowna Rockets - November 30th, 2019
- Kamloops Blazers - November 30th, 2019
- Prince George Cougars - December 14th, 2019
If you get a chance to go, snap a pick and tag us : ) We’ll be sure to snap a few while we are at the Tri-City game.
Does your local team do anything fun around the holidays to give back? Shoot us an email and let us know. email@example.com